Tuesday, February 9, 2010

They Say The Darnest Thing

I'm not usually fond of family gathering. In fact, I tend to try to avoid them. In vain, of course. My parents will always use their veto power on me, and drag me with them kicking and screaming. Yes, I used to literally do that, but now I only do it figuratively, because it's getting a little too embarrassing. For me. My parents do not care. At all. I guess having Intan as their first child had prepared them enough already. Haha.


So, over the weekend, we had quite a family time. On Saturday evening, there was my 2-month old niece's Majlis Aqiqah. Aqiqah literally means cut and it is often used for the hair of a new born baby that is cut or shaved. The performance of aqiqah is sunnah mukkkadah (highly encouraged) by Muslims.It is to be performed by the parents or the guardians of the child.

It is a pretty big thing in my mother's side of the family. For this event, everyone seems to be there to witness it. Well, almost everyone. Everyone who are in Kota Kinabalu and able to attend it. My uncle's house in Putatan was crowded with my relatives. People I rarely have the time to meet, and some I don't even know their names.

What surprises me more was, my other nieces and nephews have grown so big and tall. When I arrived, I only able to see them from afar so I wasn't able to recognize them as their backs were facing me. My first thought was, "Uh, who's that guy? He kinda look good." Imagine my surprise (and disappointment) when they turn around and their first words to me was "Auntie Qila!". I felt really old. Even older when they salam my hand. I have a strong urge to tell them "DO NOT CALL ME AUNTIE!", but I can't. I am their aunt. They are my cousins' children.

Why do my uncles and aunts married so young? Why did their children married so young? I do not appreciate being an aunt to 17 years old guys at, wait! I'm not even 20 yet! Urgh, 5 years ago, I didn't mind at all, because their growth spurt haven't started. Now? What happens to the kids whom I offer candies to leave me alone? I can no longer play with them without feeling old. Not that they want to play with me anymore, anyway.

In order to make myself feel young during the event, I keep myself close with MY aunts. Most of my cousins weren't there because, well, they either furthering their studies in KL, or working there. But my aunts that night was pretty funny. They start to reminisce the old days. Catching up with each others.

Even at one point, they asked me where I study and all. Then out of the blue, one of my grand-aunt said to me, "Bagus lah kau tu tinggi Qila, suma laki pun pindik-pindik dari kau. Senang lah kau dapat boyfriend lebih rendah dari kau. Murah lah rezeki kau nanti tu." I laughed. I do not know how to respond to that.

We only stayed for a short while at the feast as we have to attend a housewarming party in Kionsoom next.

Over there, instead of relatives, it was full of my parents' old friends. Again, all they talk about is the old days, or current issues. I sat with my mom, as I'm not familiar with the other youngsters, they are either from younger generation, or older. So, I don't really clique with them.

In one of the conversation, they asked my mom, if any of her kids married yet. Of course my mom said no. They asked about my older sister, Intan, and whether she's going to get married in the near future. Guess what my mom said.

"Intan tu? Ntah lah dia tu, sudah la kerja jadi stewardess. Lepas ni dia mau sambung ambil pilot lagi. Memang tak kahwin lah itu anak. Biar lah dia, nda juga menyusahkan aku. Tapi kali adik dia tu yang kahwin dulu." Don't get any ideas. She didn't meant me. Don't worry, my aunts glanced at me too when my mom mentioned this. "Bukan si Adeq ni. Abang dia, Zaim. Yang belajar di UIA tu. Ni nanti mau sambung belajar overseas, kali dia kahwin dulu baru dia jalan." Of course, I snickered. I had to excuse myself at that moment, to text my brothers and sister. My sister was amused, and glad. But Zaim was not, he was determined to prove our siblings wrong, ever since we mentioned that last year. But now that mom think so too, I wonder what his girlfriend thinks. Miss F.A. are you ready to be part of the family yet? Haha.

On Sunday, I spent the day with my mom and my aunt. Driving them around from places to places. From Warisan Plaza, then to KK Times Square, lastly to Suria Sabah. I know, what an obedient daughter I am, sacrificing my Sundays to perform my duty as their weekend driver. *angel face* 


Oh, we only went to Suria Sabah, because my mom has been wanting to eat at Strudels, ever seen she found out there's one in Metrojaya. She was out of luck, because Strudels was out of strudel. Yes, you read it right. We still hung out there, thou. Might as well, as we were already there.

In the midst of our light conversation, I asked my mom, "Mom, is there a job where I don't have to do much, but get paid highly. Oh, and I get to travel and go around. Maybe even a glamorous one. Ada kah kerja macam tu?" And my mom replied my question with only one word. "Prostitute". I was cracking up, so was my aunt. And I said, "mana dah senang kerja tu! Banyak bah kena layan." She, again, calmly replied me "No lah. 15 minutes per guy saja pun."

Yes. It was one of those days where I can talk about absolutely anything with my mother. Without any repercussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment